2019 Tax Season Opened 1 July 2019
It is that time of the year where we start running around like headless chickens! Yes, it is something most of us dread as it can be a strenuous task – especially when doing your tax returns and you are left thinking – how and what must I do!
No need to fear, the South African Revenue Service (SARS) has since improved efiling and introduced an EXCITING innovative MobiApp – yes, you are reading correctly – an App! They have launched a mobile channel from which you can complete and submit your Income Tax Returns (ITR12). The application can easily be downloaded from your App Store (for Apple devices) or Google Play Store (for Android devices). On the SARS MobiApp you can register, complete, save and submit your 2019 return, as well as do your returns from previous years via this innovative application!
Besides being able to do your tax return, it also offers:
- Upload and submit supporting documents
- Make a payment to SARS
- Set up a Call Back from the SARS Contact Centre
- View a Notice of Assessment
- Request and view the Income Tax Statement of Account
- View the status of the return
- Use the tax calculator
SARS set out a list of criteria for taxpayers who do NOT need to submit a tax return for the 2019 year of assessment. It is only applicable should you meet ALL the criteria as listed below:
- Your total employment income for the year before tax is not more than R500,000.
- You only receive employment income from one employer for the full tax year.
- You have no other form of income, i.e. car allowance, rental income, business income, taxable interest or income from a second job you have.
- You do not have any additional allowable tax related deductions to claim, i.e. medical expenses, contributions to pension funds/retirement annuities and travel expenses.
Taxpayers who are not required to file a return will receive a simulated outcome via a SMS from SARS as if you had filed a tax return. You can either accept the outcome provided by SARS or update your tax return and file accordingly via eFiling. The submission dates for the 2019 tax year of assessment are as follows:
- Starts 1 August 2019 for branch submissions
- Started 1 July 2019 for submissions via eFiling or MobiApp.
- Branch filing closes on 31 October 2019.
- eFiling closes on 4 December 2019.
- Provisional taxpayers have until 31 January 2020 to file via eFiling.
Doing your tax return has become a lot simpler and more convenient for everyone!
If you find this too much, call us. We have our accountant on standby!